Demonstrating Faith (Ezekiel 14:12-14)
“The word of the LORD came again to me, saying, ‘Son of man, when the land sinneth against me by trespassing grievously, then will I stretch out mine hand upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will break the staff of the bread thereof, and will send famine upon it, and will cut off man and beast from it: Though these three men, Noah, Daniel, and Job, were in it, they should deliver but their own souls by their righteousness, saith the Lord GOD.”
Noah was only the 9th generation from Adam but nearly 2,000 years of time had passed and the world was corrupt. The people were out only for themselves. As a matter of fact, Jesus uses the “Days of Noe (Noah)” as a comparison for what times will be like when He comes again!
If indeed these are the last days, we are right now, living in the days of Noah! This world is no different from when he lived. Sure, we may have more technology in the world today, but the people are the same! Let us take a look at Noah and see if we can glean how Noah lived out his faith in his end times and how we may live life in our end times.
Ask what they see first, then if you get no interaction, suggest the questions below…
Genesis 6:1-13, 22
- V5 - Why do you think God destroyed the world?
- Wickedness of man and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart were only evil…
- What does this show of Noah? Colossians 3:1-8
- V7 - Why did God repent himself for destroying man?
- Revelation 4:11 “For HIS pleasure we are and were created” People by in large were no longer doing this and it grieved God.
- V9 - How about the fact that he was listed as a “just man”.
- Can you name some others? Job, Joseph, John Baptist, Jesus, Cornelius
- What was Noah’s occupation? Did he build boats?
- 2 Peter 2:5 – A preacher of righteousness…
- What exactly would a preacher of righteousness do? << Jude 14-16 >>
- V22 – Look at the last verse… with the instructions he was given, could you build an ark? What does one look like?
Genesis 7: 13-24
- V13 – What did Noah have to trust in when he climbed aboard?
- That the work he had done was correct (Think he was nervous?)
- That God would provide
- That God would bring whatever else was to come on board.
- V17 – Think of what it would have been like on that ark?
- People knew Noah was building it and likely remembered his preaching
- Imagine the people clawing on the outside walls of the ark and trying to climb on top
- Would you be able to stand in faith while others beside you die? What’s the big deal about letting a few more people on?
- What would have happened? (They would have corrupted Noah and his family!)
- V24 – You think that perhaps Noah is wondering if God forgot about him? Remember, it rained for 40 days and nights, but that was 117 days ago!
Genesis 8: All
- V11 – What do you think went through Noah’s mind when he saw that olive leaf sprig?
- I am thinking… I WANT OFF!!! I feel like I live in a ZOO!
- V13 – How long was Noah on the Ark?
- 1 year and 10 days
- That’s another 225 Days since the ark landed… Why was he so patient, if he could take the roof off? Why not leave?
- You ever not get an immediate answer from God as to a direction you are to go? Does it shake your faith, or do you just wait for the answer?
How are you living out the days of Noah? We are living in evil and violent times: I had found a statistics estimator, but figured I would use official data from the Department of Justice for our own country
- 17,034 Murders
- 92,455 Rapes
- 447,403 Robbery’s (~10 Million Crimes on Property)
- 860,853 Agravated Assult
- 1,210,000 Abortions (Alan Guttmacher Institute, 2005)
- 1,417,745 Violent Crimes in Total!
- And that is not even counting more than 1 million abortions!
“Faith is not believing in spite of evidence, faith is obeying in spite of consequence. Our faith does not depend on what HE does, ut who HE is!”